By Capers Jones
Going the place no publication on software program size and metrics has formerly long gone, this critique completely examines a few undesirable dimension practices, detrimental metrics, and large gaps and omissions within the software program literature that forget vital subject matters in dimension. The ebook covers the main gaps and omissions that must be stuffed if information approximately software program improvement is to be precious for comparisons or estimating destiny projects.
Among the worse gaps are leaks in reporting approximately software program improvement efforts that, if no longer corrected, can distort information and make benchmarks nearly lifeless and doubtless even damaging. essentially the most universal leaks is that of unpaid additional time. software program is a truly labor-intensive profession, and lots of practitioners paintings very lengthy hours. in spite of the fact that, few businesses really list unpaid time beyond regulation. which means software program attempt is underreported by way of round 15%, that is too huge a price to disregard. different resources of leaks comprise the paintings of part-time experts who come and pass as wanted. There are dozens of those experts, and their mixed attempt can best forty five% of overall software program attempt on huge projects.
The booklet is helping software program undertaking managers and builders discover mistakes in measurements to allow them to strengthen significant benchmarks to estimate software program improvement efforts. It examines diversifications in a couple of parts that come with:
- Programming languages
- Development methodology
- Software reuse
- Functional and nonfunctional requirements
- Industry type
- Team measurement and experience
Filled with tables and charts, this publication is a kick off point for making measurements that replicate present software program improvement practices and realities to reach at significant benchmarks to steer profitable software program tasks.
Read or Download A Guide to selecting software measures and metrics PDF
Similar project management books
AMAZON. COM REVIEW
5. zero out of five stars
The most sensible PMBOK but; essential for PMP examination January four, 2013
By Gabriel Young
As a undertaking administration teacher and direction developer at a nation college, a undertaking administration keynote speaker, and somebody who has been education venture managers for almost twenty years, I hugely suggest this ebook. i've got additionally helped 1000's to move their PMP assessments (including education PMI staff) and even supposing a few fogeys declare they handed with no this, I firmly think that the PMBOK is a must-have.
I have owned each variation of the PMBOK and that i can inform you that it's gotten larger with age. Let's face it, the cloth isn't the main fascinating yet a minimum of it's even more readable than ever. tactics are extra subtle (some could take into account center vs. facilitating techniques in older types) and are titled extra always (used to have a few commence with verbs and others with nouns), descriptions of inputs/tools & techniques/outputs are clearer, and illustrations are much less complicated. That stated, the booklet nonetheless purely covers the "whats". for those who really need to know "how" to execute a few of these techniques, you'll want one other source like undertaking administration: A platforms method of making plans, Scheduling, and Controlling.
For those that have obvious the various PMBOK's terrible rankings in reports of past types, you might want to take into account that it is a high-level consultant, now not an difficult textual content or a secret novel. hence, don't count on to be a venture administration guru on the finish or be entertained with inventive irony.
Anyway, considering lots of you're looking at this since you are looking to take the PMP examination, this is a few advice:
- even though you'll be capable of receive a delicate reproduction of this ebook through being a PMI member, i like to recommend having a actual reproduction. In all my years of education, I've by no means even used a highlighter yet I did for the PMBOK while i used to be learning for this examination over a decade in the past. It seems that just about every little thing used to be worthy highlighting however it pressured me to learn each one line thoroughly.
- you'll want one other e-book due to the fact many examination innovations aren't even lined within the PMBOK. i myself like PMP examination Prep, 7th variation: Rita's direction in a ebook for Passing the PMP examination or CAPM/PMP venture administration Certification All-in-One examination consultant with CD-ROM, moment variation. you don't even want the most recent versions. belief me, the final ideas stands out as the similar. for example, earned price classes in Rita's 1st version from yesteryear stands out as the related as these in seventh or eighth variations. SPI will constantly be EV/PV.
- while filing undertaking adventure at the software, you could post paintings whether your identify was once now not undertaking supervisor. in case you labored on initiatives and feature performed a lead function, it could possibly count number so publish it. the foremost aspect is so that you can be filing venture management actions. you continue to want 4500 hours of undertaking event when you've got a bachelors or 7500 hours with no bachelors. additionally, consistently post greater than these thresholds considering a few actions can be no longer be accepted.
- don't buy flash playing cards; in its place, make your individual. Get a stack of index playing cards and begin writing terms/concepts on one part with definitions/formulas/descriptions at the again side.
Hope this is helping. better of good fortune to all people!
Engineering venture administration provides IPQMS (Integrated making plans and caliber administration method) as a robust administration technique. the program guarantees responsibility, cost-effectiveness, and caliber within the development venture, environmental cleanups, and different sectors - delivering an integrative strength for crucial teamwork in and executive.
In regards to the authors Acknowledgements Preface to the second one variation record of figures An introductory case research 1 advent goals of this bankruptcy what is new concerning the new version? What do venture managers actually need? rising criteria for undertaking administration venture administration is based on logic How readers can use this booklet What forms of undertaking is that this e-book aimed toward?
Ahead of software program engineering builds and installations might be applied into software program and/or structures integrations in army and aerospace courses, a finished realizing of the software program improvement existence cycle is needed. protecting all of the improvement existence cycle disciplines, powerful tools for software program and structures Integration explains how one can opt for and follow a existence cycle that promotes potent and effective software program and structures integration.
- Program Management of Technology Endeavours: Lateral Thinking in Large Scale Government Program Management
- The firm divided : manager-shareholder conflict and the fight for control of the modern corporation
- Business-Driven IT-Wide Agile (scrum) and Kanban (Lean) Implementation: An Action Guide for Business and IT Leaders
- Directing the Flow of Product: A Guide to Improving Supply Chain Planning
Additional info for A Guide to selecting software measures and metrics
A third personnel factor with a strong influence is that of unpaid overtime. Unpaid overtime has a tangible impact on software costs, and a more subtle impact on software schedules. 4 Impact of team experience on software development productivity. 42 ◾ A Guide to Selecting Software Measures and Metrics difficult to study this situation without interviewing development teams. 3 shows the probable impact of unpaid overtime. Unpaid overtime is seldom measured, and this causes problems for estimation and also with using historical data as benchmarks.
Variations due to Inaccurate Software Metrics That Distort Reality ◾ 49 There are some effective software benchmark organizations that use function point metrics for productivity and quality studies, but all of these collectively have a few thousand clients only. Some of these benchmark groups include The International Software Benchmarking Standards Group (ISBSG), the Quality/Productivity Management Group, Davids’ Consulting Group, Software Productivity Research (SPR), TI Metricas in Brazil, Quantitative Software Management (QSM), and Namcook Analytics LLC.
With 10 people, communications would cause confusion and probably stretch the schedule to two months, hence doubling the effort. One person might not have all of the necessary skills, so the schedule might slip to 12 calendar months. 5 months would probably deliver the optimal result. As mentioned, Fred Brooks’ classic book, The Mythical Man-Month, made this concept famous, and also has one of the best software book titles of all time. Fred is also famous for the phrase no silver bullet to highlight the fact that no known methodology solves all software engineering problems.